Monday 7 July 2008

on the west but still northern

Portland, Oregan
My first three days was spent here:
In the Northwest area of Portland just above Burnside on 18th Ave near Glisan. The fact it was in the 'trendy' area of Portland and close to downtown isn't the main reason why I loved staying here it was the people: families, punks, skaters, military men. The rooms were luxury for a hostel big beds an en suite bathroom (fair enough shared by the 8 of us in the room but better than two bathrooms for a whole floor like new york).
Not only did I enjoy my stay here it actually helped me land on my feet and get organised in Portland. As I mentioned the people in hostel were varied and made the common areas interesting, two people I met there were a father and son from a suburb called West Linn. The dad had taken his son on an 'urban adventure' which was sweet by itself. After talking about the military (and my disapproval of the war/army/g.w bush) we went to pick up the free pizza from a neighbouring pizza joint that gives their leftovers to the hostel every night and turns out I was being interviewed. Next thing I know Ed (the father) informs me their family have a separate basement room they offer to people in exchange for some domestic/childcare/random jobs a few hours a week rent and board free. It turns out the house is luxury, at the moment I live alot better than most people in Portland and even the 35 min bus ride to downtown Portland doesn't get me down.
The social side is going well, I attended my first show in Portland it being a house show and attempted to introduce myself as the new English girl, it worked sort of. But none the less I went by myself which is something unthinkable back in England I wouldn't even enter a show alone in my home town which shows Portland is already changing my life views! So far all I've experienced in completely open arms into this country and city.
xo

No comments: